Be shaken and stirred...

Welcome to our media blog project...

The team: 3 third year media students
The mission: Create a blog
The objective: Get people thinking and commenting through our thought provoking writing about new media issues
The topics: Photography is Taryns assignment, Katie's job is to write on music, and Cara explores cellular phones...

Be inspired, be very inspired...read on...please post your comments!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chariots of Fire and dog food


Continuing in the line of classical music and intertextuality, I would like to comment on an example of what I think is intertextuality that has become problematic: using classical music in adverts for mundane goods. I remember some years ago I was in the next room from the television when I heard “Chariots of Fire” by Vangelis beginning to play. Being rather a fan of this particular piece I ran to the television so as to feast my eyes on what I imagined would be moving, ethereal images only to be met with slobbering staffies with bright yellow collars racing in slow motion towards a finish line, after which they were rewarded with a soggy looking bowl of dog food. This unfortunate image will sadly always be associated with this once magnificent piece of work. Gone are the days when crowds would gather at an entertainment hall to appreciate recitals by distinguished composers. Now classical music has been reduced to selling cleaning agents and dog food. Advertising has turned outstanding pieces of art into mundane fragments of sound that are largely associated with comedy and moments of absurdity. I’m not saying that classical music should not be used in advertising at all, I’m suggesting that those intending on using a piece of classical music should carefully consider its origins and meanings so as not to degrade the piece in any way. Using O Fortuna for a British Airways advert I would say is appropriate, but to use the William Tell Overture for a anti-dandruff shampoo advert I would say is highly unflattering and debasing for such a piece of music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I approve of with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the downgrade delivery of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=registry defender 3.1.4 ?
I noticed the phrase you have not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I have a week and do necheg