Be shaken and stirred...

Welcome to our media blog project...

The team: 3 third year media students
The mission: Create a blog
The objective: Get people thinking and commenting through our thought provoking writing about new media issues
The topics: Photography is Taryns assignment, Katie's job is to write on music, and Cara explores cellular phones...

Be inspired, be very inspired...read on...please post your comments!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Another crazy crime prevention idea


There is something to be said about music and its effects on people. When I worked at Guess I tried a little experiment with the music that was played in the store: Timbaland’s “The Way I Are” vs. some tracks by Goo Goo Dolls. By far Timbaland outstripped Goo Goo Dolls in terms of the number of people that came into the store who were quite clearly attracted by the lively feel of the track. By contrast far less people came into the store whilst Goo Goo Dolls was playing, and those that did enter exited the store sooner and looked rather a lot gloomier, but this could also have been because of the price of a pair of premium denim jeans. Music that is not to people’s liking has the effect of driving them away. In the UK a supermarket chain tried playing classical music outside their shops for long periods of time to see if it made a difference with youth gangs. Surprisingly, reports of theft and loitering decreased significantly; classical music was obviously too much to bear for the young adults. My mother would often play classical music when I was younger and my immediate reaction was always “Who died Mom?” after which I promptly stuffed my fingers in my ears. Assuming that most crime committers are young and embedded in popular culture, and probably quite disinterested in classical music, is it then possible to say that if we pumped out loud classical music from our homes, work places, and shopping areas all day and everyday, crime would decrease? Could something as simple as playing dreary, unpopular music drive away a potential thief?

3 comments:

Cara Booysen said...

That is a very interesting concept wow! Its true that music has a profound affect on the mood of listeners. I wonder what it is in the brain that causes some people to like certain styles, and others not. Is it purely related to peer group, upbringing, genes?
My dad bought a CD when I was a teenager, called "Build your baby's brain with the power of Mozart" ...by then it was too late for me, but I have always thought that Im going to try it out when I have my own bun in the oven. Supposedly it makes your child more intelligent if you play classical music to them while they are in the womb and also toddlers!

Brad Castle said...

With the current crime situation in South Africa I think any idea should be tried..Music definately does have an effect on people's moods..This can be seen in movies where sad songs are played in love stories and heavy metal music is played in action movies. Most people I know who go out to clubs like listening to upbeat music before they go out because it gets them in the mood..be carefull of trying that idea to chase thieves away because it might annoy them so much that they want to come into your house to break the CD-player!

Chipo Tazvishaya said...

Your post is an interesting perspective on music and its effect on crime. i agree with the findings that music is linked to attracting potential customers. I guess music affects the atmosphere in a place and thus sets people's moods.