Be shaken and stirred...

Welcome to our media blog project...

The team: 3 third year media students
The mission: Create a blog
The objective: Get people thinking and commenting through our thought provoking writing about new media issues
The topics: Photography is Taryns assignment, Katie's job is to write on music, and Cara explores cellular phones...

Be inspired, be very inspired...read on...please post your comments!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Block Your Ears


I have heard some really bad song lyrics lately. I often have the radio playing idly while I work, barely taking in the contents spilling out of the speakers. But after paying a bit more attention to the radio waves flowing subconsciously into my brain, I suddenly became aware that many of the song lyrics were often utterly meaningless. This has never really mattered to me in the past as the primary appeal of a song for me was for some time the sound and feel, superficial as that might sound. But as I’ve got older, my inner critic has come to raise its ugly head to point fingers at nasty song lyrics. Lets take a look at Usher’s “Make Love In This Club”. I was driving when I first heard this song, and by the time it was over my head was permeated with all sorts of unmentionable thoughts, as I thought, “This is the most unromantic, most sexually charged song I have heard in a very long time”. I thought I would pick out a few lines that I thought were a bit problematic: “Well come here baby and let daddy show you what it feel like”. Apart from the appalling grammar, those people who are not familiar with the lingo might regard as a bit incestuous. “I'll bag ya like some grocery's”. This particular line is precisely what I was referring to when I described this song as ‘unromantic’, and I think I would be more likely to slap Usher if he said that to me. “On the couch, on the table, on the bar, on the floor”. This would be the most extreme and obscene case of public displays of affection. “You can meet me in the bathroom, ya you know I’m trained to go.” I cannot imagine anything worse. For those people who feel these lyrics are quite meaningful, I apologise, but personally, I wouldn’t miss this song if it suddenly disappeared.

4 comments:

Ritania Gokul said...

Hi katie I do agree with you, song lyrics have become more sexualy changed. Its not suprising there is an increase in sexual asaults. Not to mention that these songs are played over the radio and young children are blindly being exposed to such lyrics and thus impacting greatly on their moral upbringing. Im glad you brought up this issue.

Londeka Mathonsi said...

Hi
I loved your post!I could not agree with you more. Lyrics today are just the words artists use to go with a particularly nice tune. They simply have no point.They put no thought behind them and it seems as if they don't even consider the fact that people might actually listen to this garbage!What are we ment to derive from such songs?the fact that he's really horny?????

Katherine Wood said...

Katie i agree with 100%. Back in the day music lyrics used to be a way to express meaning and feeling. Nowadays the only purpose of lyrics is to sell the song. The music comes first and then the lyrics. What is especially worrying is that the majority of people don't think about this and end up singing along without being consciously aware of what they are actaully singing.

Cara Booysen said...

I totally agree!! It is disgusting what people seem to want to sing about these days, and think it is so unneccessary. A good artist doesnt need dirty lyrics to sell their songs... if they are musically talented, that is what will sell the track, not the swearing or obscene lyrics!
I proved this the other day when I heard a tune that has been on the radio lately, and I really like it, until I listened closely to the lyrics (often hard to hear with the music of today) and was apalled! The lyrics made me dislike the song, not enjoy it any more. Some singers need some soap in their mouths and a major purifying of their hearts and minds.